SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. - The following is a message from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College President Dottie King, Ph.D.
We greatly appreciate the understanding and patience of our student-athletes and parents as the College navigates the current COVID-19 pandemic and all the precautions that come with competing during this time.
Beginning Monday, September 14, the athletic department will allow SMWC fans at all men's & women's soccer and volleyball home events with the following protocols:
- SMWC fans must be in good health, without a fever and masked while on campus.
- SMWC fans must be seated on the grass in their own chair, and maintain at least 6-feet of physical distance from other fans (family units may sit together).
- Tailgating will be unallowed, which includes community meals, sharing of food with student-athletes or fans.
- Concessions will be unavailable.
- Restrooms at the outdoor athletic complex will be closed to all fans.
- During soccer games, restrooms for spectators will be made available in Guerin Hall (use the front, main entrance to enter and exit the side doors).
- During volleyball games, the Knoerle Center restrooms will be available.
Opposing fans will not be permitted to attend our home events as we try and limit unnecessary exposure to COVID-19.
There will be a $7.00 gate fee for all SMWC fans at men's & women's soccer and volleyball contests. Please follow the signage at the outdoor athletic complex to understand where our new main entrance will be located. The Department will adopt Square technology as its preferred payment option to minimize contact. To achieve this goal, we ask our fans to bring with them a debit or credit card, Apple Pay, or Google Wallet, to pay for their gate fees. If you do not possess one of these payment methods, we will accommodate you at the event by accepting cash.
The following groups of fans will not be charged at the gate:
- SMWC Students
- SMWC Faculty/Staff
- Children ages 10 & younger
- Sisters of Providence
There will be an opportunity to view the men's & women's soccer and volleyball games through our live-stream for a $10.00 fee per contest.
As a current member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA), applying members of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and River States Conference (RSC), we have closely monitored decisions other athletic departments have made about their fall seasons. While these decisions vary based on numerous factors, we are fully anticipating men's & women's soccer and volleyball to have a full competitive season. Though it will look completely different than a traditional year in intercollegiate athletics, it is our full intent to compete as normal. The RSC has provided a spectator travel advisory regarding fan attendance which they released on Friday, September 4. Many RSC affiliated institutions we are scheduled to compete against have implemented fan attendance policies and protocols. Please check online before you travel to any away contest, as you will notice many of the RSC schools are not allowing opposing team's fans or are limiting attendance.
As we navigate this pandemic carefully, we ask for your patience. This fluid situation has us on our toes each day. As this fall season unfolds, we will work diligently each day to ensure our student-athletes are safe so we CAN continue competing.
Dottie King, Ph.D.