FRANKLIN, Ind. – The SMWC men's soccer team (8-1) stunned Franklin College (3-9) this evening 3-2 in 2OT. The Pomeroys found themselves down 2-0 early, surrendering two quick goals in the 20th and 22nd minute. The Woods rallied back in the 40th minute with a goal from Omar Abdallah Nabilsi who later scored the equalizer in the 65th minute before a golden goal header from Edson Alvarado sealed the win.
- The Woods took shots early but couldn't get anything to go as shots by Omar Abdallah Nabilsi and Edson Alvarado were off.
- Franklin responded by scoring two quick goals within 2 minutes of one another to take a 2-0 lead early in the first half.
- Both teams went back and forth in the first half, with a yellow card shown to each before Omar Abdallah Nabilsi got one to go before the end of the half.
- The Pomeroys came out on the defensive but were able to equalize off a goal from Omar after a flurry of shots from Franklin on the other end.
- The game found itself in double overtime before a late corner by Yazen Bahkrebah and a header from Edson Alvarado gave the Pomeroys the win
By the Numbers
- Omar Abdallah Nabilsi (10 goals) is the first double-digit goal scorer in program history, followed by Edson Alvarado (8 goals).
- The Pomeroys have now given up 7 goals in their past 3 games after surrendering just 1 through their first 6 games.
- This is the 2nd double overtime win for SMWC in the past week with women's soccer defeating Principia 1-0 on September 21st.
Quote | Head Coach Abe Tizaf
"Although it was a tough start, the guys came together and pushed each other. We came back and overcame the odds with nothing but hard work and heart."
The men's team travels to Chicago, Ill. to take on Moody Bible Institute for a 2:00 P.M. ET match this Saturday, September 28th.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center