SAINT MARY-OF-THE-WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (SMWC) men's soccer team (9-3) hosted the University of Cincinnati-Clermont (4-6), today and won 3-1. The men performed well and were able to match UCC's first-half offensive attack with their own as they scored three unanswered goals in the 2nd half. Emotions flared throughout the match as the physicality of the match led to strong opinions on missed and questioned calls.
- 1st Half: The Pomeroys played well and were able to hold off UCC for most of the half but conceded a goal to UCC's Andrew Macedeo. Some miscues and mental errors kept SMWC from capitalizing on opportunities and despite a few shot attempts not going their way were able to keep the game within one going into the half. During the half, Omar Abdallah Nabilsi was shown a yellow for asking about a call with the ref.
- 2nd Half: The Pomeroys responded with a goal of their own when Omar Abdallah Nabilsi assisted Ryan Valladares on an equalizer goal in the 50th minute and then again two minutes later off a PK from Omar to take a 2-1 lead. Another bit of drama hit when a goal by Edson Alvarado was called back because of a reversal on a missed foul call in the box. UCC's LaMondre Roumegoux was shown his 2nd yellow of the match in the 76th minute, earning him a red. The match continued to be testy with flared emotions on both sides, especially from UC-Clermont with an additional yellow being shown to Dario Cruz. A header from Edson Alvarado off a kick from John Aguirre put the game out of reach for UCC as the Pomeroys went up 3-1.
By the Numbers
- Omar now owns 16 goals and 5 assists on the season.
- The Pomeroys are now 9-3, guaranteeing them a record over .500.
- This is only the 2nd time in SMWC history that both men and women have won at home on the same day (previously 9/15/19 vs. Andrews).
- Four total yellow cards, with one red being shown on a second yellow, were shown during the match.
The men's soccer team will face Harris Stowe University next Thursday, October 10th, at 4:30 p.m. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center