SAINT MARY-OF-THE-WOODS, Ind. – Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College women's basketball (0-1) opened their 2019-20 campaign this evening against Kentucky Christian University. The Pomeroys fell to the Lady Knights 117-91 in the home opener.
Pregame, the men's golf team was honored for winning the 2019 USCAA National Championship and at halftime, the fans saw the first performance from the 2019 Dance Team.
How it Happened
- First Quarter: The Pomeroys kept it close throughout most of the first quarter, securing rebounds and fighting for loose balls. The Woods were outscored 23-20 but posted at 38.9 shooting %, better numbers than Kentucky Christian (34.6%). Mara Canada was the only starter to record a point with 6.
- Second Quarter: Kentucky Christian pulled away in the 2nd quarter by capitalizing on costly turnovers by the Pomeroys. SMWC trailed 47-50 with 0:38 seconds left in the half, but three straight turnovers at the end of the quarter turned into 6 points to give the Lady Knights a 47-56 lead. Kentucky Christian would lead SMWC at the half 59-49.
- Third Quarter: More errors would haunt the Pomeroys as they quickly found themselves in a 15-point deficit just 4 minutes into the quarter. Kentucky Christian's ball movement and shot selection helped them put the game seemingly out-of-reach heading into the 4th quarter as they led 85-65.
- Fourth Quarter: The fouls and turnovers started piling up but it seemed as though the Pomeroys couldn't get a call. A couple of exciting 3-pointers were all that was going right for the Pomeroys as they found themselves down 23 with 7:38 left. The story of the game continued throughout the rest of the game as the Pomeroys lost 117-91 in their home opener.
By the Numbers
- Mara Canada, who shot 28.1% last season as a junior, led all Pomeroys with 15 points on 5-10 shooting (50.0%).
- Mara was followed in scoring by Avalee Jeffers (12), Delaney Kendall (12), and Kaylyn Williams (10).
- Avalee Jeffers, who averaged 4.4 rebounds/game last season, pulled down 10 boards along with her 12 points for her first career double-double.
- Kentucky Christian finished the game with six players in double-figure points, with Sydney Foster leading all players with 22 points on 40.4% shooting.
- The Woods would finish the game with 26-76 shooting (34.2%), 65 total rebounds, and 19 assists.
Quote | Robert Belf
"We got ourselves to the free-throw line 45 times and grabbed 24 offensive rebounds, we did a ton of positive things. Yet, I thought KCU played more poise and in control of what they wanted to do compared to what wanted to do. Overall, we are close."
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center