SAINT MARY-OF-THE-WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods women's basketball team fell to the Celtics of Carlow University 91-82 this evening. The Pomeroys failed to rally after their loss on Saturday against Kentucky Christian despite some impressive scoring runs throughout the game. Sophomore Paetyn Hayes led the team in scoring with 15 while also leading in rebounds with 8. Delaney Kendall would lead the team with 7 assists.
How it Happened
- First Quarter: The Woods found themselves unmatched and unprepared against Carlow in the first quarter. The Celtics simply outplayed them with good ball movement and selective shots. Carlow sprinted to an 11-0 lead and never looked back. The Pomeroys wouldn't hit double digits until the end of the quarter as they found themselves in a deep 18-point hole, down 12-30, to start the 2nd quarter.
- Second Quarter: The Celtics continued to barrage SMWC with 3's and strong interior defense. The Pomeroys were forced to stick to shots outside the arc as they couldn't find any opportunities against Carlow's Emma Stille and Gabby Olinger. SMWC found some life in the final 2 minutes of the quarter with stronger offensive rebounding and forcing fouls on drives to the basket. The Woods still lost ground as the headed into halftime with a 31-point deficit; 29-60.
- Third Quarter: The Woods opened the 3rd quarter with drastically improved defense, forcing a couple of turnovers and hitting 3's to open the first three minutes on a 16-4 run to bring the score to within 19 at 45-64. Carlow tightened their play as SMWC's shots stopped falling as easily, wrapping up the 3rd quarter 54-78.
- Fourth Quarter: The Woods tightened the deficit to 19 with help from a couple of deep three-pointers, but couldn't make up any ground until some huge 3's and forced turnovers cut the deficit to 8 with a minute remaining. The Wood's furious comeback was cut short as they couldn't get a couple of deep shots to fall and they would fall to Carlow 91-82.
By the Numbers
- The Pomeroys were led in scoring by Paetyn Hayes with 15. Paeytn would also contribute 8 rebound, 1 assist, and 2 steals.
- The Woods was followed in scoring by Natalie Nickless (13), Delaney Kendall (8), and Avalee Jeffers (8).
- SMWC's top rebounder was Paetyn Hayes with 8, contributing to the Pomeroy's 37 total.
- SMWC shot just 63.0% from the line, 27.3% from behind the arc, and 29.4% overall.
- In contrast, Carlow shot 81.0% from the line, 25.0% on 3-pointers, and 47.9% total.
- Carlow's Emma Stille, finished the game with an impressive 30 points, 26 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 3 blocks while turning the ball over 3 times and committing zero fouls.
The Pomeroys stopped the game momentarily for Carlow Senior Emma Stille as she scored her 1,000th career point on a mid-range jumper with 4:28 left in the 2nd quarter.
The Pomeroys travel to New Albany, Indiana to face Indiana University-Southeast. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center