GREENVILLE, Ill. – The Woods fell to Greenville University last night in a 75-91 loss that moves SMWC to 1-5 on the season. The Pomeroys were hampered by fouls throughout the game, committing 31 to Greenville's 14. Natalie Nickless recorded 14 points for the team while also adding 3 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2 steals.
How it Happened
- First Quarter: Scoring for both teams was difficult to start the game, with SMWC not recording their first basket until almost 4 minutes into the game and both teams combining for just 13 points halfway through the quarter. The Woods would struggle to get shots to fall and were held back by fouls throughout the quarter. The first half came to a close with SMWC down 17-30.
- Second Quarter: The second quarter played out similar to the first, but SMWC would close the gap slightly as a 12-4 run midway through the quarter helped to get them on a roll. They would head into the half down 9 at 37-46.
- Third Quarter: Both teams would go back and forth through the quarter. SMWC wasn't able to gain enough ground to take the lead but would close the gap by 3 on some turnovers from Greenville. SMWC still trailed 62-68 going into the 4th quarter.
- Fourth Quarter: Greenville took control in the 4th quarter, outscoring SMWC 23-13 to drop the Woods to 1-5 on the season.
By the Numbers
- Natalie Nickless led all Pomeroys with 14 points, followed by Brooke Andrus and Mara Canada (9), and Delaney Jarrett (8).
- As a team, SMWC recorded 47 rebounds, 14 assists, 11 steals, and 5 blocks.
- The Woods had six players with at least 4 personal fouls.
- SMWC shot 30.3% on the night, 25.5% from beyond the arc and an admirable 87.5% from the line.
SMWC will travel to Eureka, Illinois to battle Eureka College in a 6:30 p.m. ET game on Wednesday, November 20th.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center