SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. – The SMWC Women's Basketball team (6-16) rebounded from their heartbreaking loss to Brescia with a dominating 98-68 win over Welch College 98-68 this afternoon. The team was led by Regan Hubbard (13 points., 7 rebounds., 8 assists.) and Paetyn Hayes (18 points., 3 rebounds., 2 assists.)
How It Happened
- First Quarter: The Pomeroys' quickened pace caught Welch off-guard to start the game, but both teams opened the quarter by hitting tough shots. Some early three-pointers, and shooting fouls by Welch, gave the Woods a 10-point lead halfway through the quarter. SMWC would continue to dominate both sides of the ball to balloon their lead to 14 to close the quarter up 33-19.
- Second Quarter: The Woods' consistent pressure and forcing of turnovers helped to improve their lead to 20 with 3:30 left in the half. 3-point daggers by Paetyn Hayes and Mara Canada would give the Pomeroys a 25-point lead. They would go into halftime up 60-29 and in complete control.
- Third Quarter: Welch came out of the half with better scoring inside the paint and applying more pressure to the Pomeroys. The Flames would open on an 11-5 run to try to close the gap, but SMWC was able to continue hitting their shots from behind the arc to still lead 79-55.
- Fourth Quarter: The Pomeroys continued to control the pace of the game as fatigue started to set in for the Flames. Welch would be forced to start heaving deep shots to make any ground. Ashleigh Jones (Welch) would be a dominating force inside the paint throughout the game but interior scoring wouldn't be enough to take over and the Pomeroys would defeat Welch 98-68 to earn their 6th win.
By the Numbers
- Paetyn Hayes, now on a scoring tear of 59 points in her last 4 games (14.75 PPG), led the team with 18 points. She was followed by Regan Hubbard with 13 and three players with 9.
- Hubbard would lead the Pomeroys in assists with 8, and Brianna Smith's 11 rebounds would pace all players.
- SMWC shot 45.7% from the field and 31.9% from 3-point range, compared to Welch's 39.2% and 16.7%, respectively.
- Welch was led by Ashleigh Sage in scoring (30), followed by Abby Bragg (13).
- Bragg was the assist leader for the Flames with 9 and Sage led the team with 9 rebounds.
Say What? | Regan Hubbard
On the team's convincing win over Welch…
"Today's win was a great win for the team, one we really needed. How hard we have worked this season sometimes doesn't come through on our record, but it always feels good to get one! As far as my performance tonight, all I tried to do was play with pace and be decisive, hitting my teammates when I can, and contributing on both sides of the ball."
SMWC honored the alums who came out for the annual alumni game today at 11:00 a.m. Those alums were recognized at half-time with players ranging back to the class of 1992.
The Pomeroys travel to face Wilberforce University in their final road game of the season. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. ET. Live-stream and stats can be found on our website at smwcpomeroys.com.
Photo Album: https://bit.ly/39h30jB
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center