WILBERFORCE, Ohio. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods Women's Basketball team was defeated easily at the hands of Wilberforce University this evening 86-62. Turnovers were the biggest problem for the Woods as well as Wilberforce's physical play. Delaney Kendall (17 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists) and Avalee Jeffers (11 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists) led the team.
How It Happened
- First Half: SMWC was able to get a couple of shots up, but turnovers quickly became a problem. Rushed play combined with Wilberforce's pressure led to some easy baskets for the Bulldogs. The Pomeroys surrendered easy rebounds and made some simple ball-handling errors throughout the half. SMWC would trail Wilberforce at the half 50-29.
- Second Half: The story of the first half continued into the second. The Pomeroys moved the ball a little better, trying to find open shooters, but shots weren't falling for the team. Inconsistent play led to open wing shooters for Wilberforce, who responded by knocking down some deep threes. The Woods would cut the Bulldogs lead only slightly but lose the game 89-61.
By the Numbers
- The Pomeroys were led in scoring by Delaney Kendall with 17 points, followed by Mara Canada with 12, and Avalee Jeffers with 11.
- Regan Hubbard was the Pomeroy assist leader on the night with 5 and Delaney Kendall led the team with 7 rebounds.
- The Pomeroys shot just 32.3% and turned the ball over 39 times, compared to Wilberforce's 22.
- Wilberforce was led by Nia McCormick in scoring with 19.
- Four players tallied 4 assists for the Bulldogs and LaTyrah Beasley led the team pulling down 14 boards.
The Pomeroys return to Hamilton Arena for their final two games of the season when they face Andrews University on Thursday, February 13th at 6:00 p.m. ET and UC-Clermont on Saturday, February 15th at 2:00 p.m. ET.
Photo Album: https://bit.ly/2OPNRhs
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center