SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (SMWC) Women's Basketball team defeated Andrews University today 101-71 behind Paetyn Hayes (24 points, 6 rebounds) and Maggie Reimer (11 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists). The Pomeroys' made a school-best 28 3-point shots as they move to 7-17 on the season. They'll look to close out strong heading into their final game on Saturday against UC-Clermont.
How It Happened
- First Quarter: The Pomeroys got off to a strong start, knocking down their shots and rebounding the ball well. Andrews found their shots contested but couldn't get many second-chance opportunities because of Pomeroy inside play. SMWC would hit some easy 3's to take a strong 25-12 lead at the end of one quarter.
- Second Quarter: The Woods would continue their 3-point barrage and go up 42-16 just four minutes into the quarter. Andrews would struggle to pass the ball efficiently and move up the court fast enough on breaks. SMWC's lead would grow to 28 heading into halftime up 60-32. The Pomeroys would finish the half with 17 three-pointers on 45 attempts.
- Third Quarter: Andrews would improve their shot selection but still struggled to get the ball up the floor. The Pomeroy's offset their scoring run with some fouls under the basket to allow Andrews to keep the game within 20 through most of the quarter. The Woods' would tack on five more deep shots to find themselves just four away from the school record (26). The Pomeroys would wrap up the quarter up 77-52 and in complete control of the game.
- Fourth Quarter: SMWC would continue their 3-point barrage as they look to set the school record. With their lead at 26, they could afford to heave up some normally ill-advised shots. SMWC would hit their record-setting shot when Paetyn Hayes hit a three with about a minute left. The Pomeroys would wrap up the win 101-71.
By the Numbers
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
- Paetyn Hayes led the team with 24 points. She was followed in scoring by Mara Canada (15) and Jayla Rogers (13).
- Brianna Smith and Avalee Jeffers led the team with 7 rebounds and Jayla Rogers added 6 more. Delaney Kendall was the assist leader with 8.
- The Cardinals were led in scoring by Sarah Page with 28 points. Jayde Broussard would add an additional 18 and Maci Chen would tack on 12.
- Andrews' leader in assists was Maci Chen with 8 and Jayde Broussard led in rebounds with 21.
The Pomeroys wrap up their season this Saturday, February 15th when they face the University of Cincinnati-Clermont for Senior Day. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center