SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (SMWC) Women's Basketball team (8-17) pulled out a 91-74 win over the University of Cincinnati-Clermont (18-6) today to wrap up their season. The Senior Day win was the product of stellar efforts from Mara Canada (20 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist) and Kalyn Williams (11 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists). Despite their record, the Pomeroys finished their season on a high note, winning their final two games by an average of 24 points.
How It Happened
- First Quarter: Both teams struggled out of the gate to score. SMWC's poor ball movement and UC-Clermont's inability to finish their shots put the game at just 6-5, four minutes into the game. Fouls came early and often for the Pomeroys but hitting some deep three allowed them to take an 18-10 lead in the final two minutes. The Woods would still finish the quarter strong off two straight turnovers under the basket by the Cougars and lead 25-12.
- Second Quarter: 3-point shooting, the Pomeroy's bread and butter all season, helped them build their lead to 16 midway through the quarter. UCC would make a run of strong shots in the paint to close the gap to 8, but foul trouble started to cost Clermont and SMWC would finish the first half up 46-35.
- Third Quarter: SMWC maintained their lead with a couple deep three's and drawing fouls. UCC struggled to hit any of their shots, especially from beyond the arc where they had only made two thus far. The Pomeroys padded their lead to 17 with three minutes to go on an and-1 for Delaney Kendall. An 8-1 run late in the quarter would give SMWC a solid 19-point lead at the end of three, up 75-54.
- Fourth Quarter: Simple mistakes by the Cougars led to turnovers that the Pomeroys were able to capitalize on. Some deep threes propelled the Woods to a 24-point lead halfway through the quarter and they would never look back. They wrapped up this one, winning 91-74, to end their season a high note.
By the Numbers
- Paetyn Hayes finished with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 block, and 1 steal
- Mara Canada posted 20 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assists
- Delaney Jarrett finished with 4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 4 steals
- Montgomeree Porter totaled 2 rebounds
- Brianna Smith tallied 6 points, 12 rebounds, and 1 block
University of Cincinnati-Clermont
- Victoria Brooks led the Cougars with 19 points, followed by Anna Voskuhl (18) and Kristi Duncan (14)
- The team's rebound leaders were Anna Voskuhl and Kristi Duncan with 10 and the leading rebounder was Sara Ventura with 6.
- Seniors in the SMWC Pep Band, Jacob Wilson and Olivia Wendel, were recognized during the game.
- The SMWC Dance Team performed at halftime and the West Vigo Middle School 6th and 7th-grade girls basketball teams participated in a free throw contest to win a $50 Pizza Hut gift card.
Senior Day Celebration
Seniors were recognized throughout the game and after the game. Paetyn Hayes, Mara Canada, Montgomeree Porter, Brianna Smith, and Delaney Jarrett, as well as team manager Stormy Batchelor, were welcomed onto the court after the game with their families in a special ceremony. Each senior was honored for their accomplishments as well as the opportunity to thank their friends and family.
Photo Album: https://bit.ly/2USZwQf
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center