SAINT MARY-OF-THE-WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (SMWC) women's soccer team (6-5) hosted last year's USCAA Division II National Champion, the University of Cincinnati-Clermont (7-3), this afternoon and came away with a 1-0 win off a goal from Sophomore Melisa Spognardi. The Woods played strong defense throughout and were able to net the winning goal in the 78th minute.
- 1st Half: SMWC was kept on their own half for most of the game by UCC but some great defensive play by the Pomeroys kept the game scoreless throughout the first half. The Cougars were frustrated by the inability to set up opportune shots and were forced to settle for wide attempts and long shots. Strong containment by Kourtney Buckley, Shelby Joy, and Mannah Mace helped keep UCC in check.
- 2nd Half: The Woods continued their strong defensive play despite more shot attempts by the Cougars. A few close calls in the box kept SMWC on their toes but some nice saves by goalkeeper Megan Benefiel and defensive blocks kept the game scoreless still until a shot by Melisa Spognardi in the 78th minute gave the Woods a 1-0 lead. The 2nd half had an interesting moment with about 8 minutes left on the clock when the UCC coach received a straight red card.
By the Numbers
- SMWC took just 3 shots (2 on goal), their lowest attempts of the season.
- UCC's 25 shots allowed without a single goal is the best defensive efforts by the Pomeroys this season.
- The Woods is now back over .500 and against a top tier USCAA team, hope that the win is reflected in next week's coaches poll.
Quote | Head Coach Craig Hendry
"Composure in big moments saw us defend brilliantly and with a lot of bravery at times. When the chance arose, a moment of composure at the other end sealed it. Massive win for us against a very talented opponent. Focus is now on Oakland City."
The Woods women's soccer team will travel to face Oakland City University next Wednesday, October 9th, at 3:00 p.m. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center