SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. - Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC) women's soccer battled NCAA Division II Oakland City University this afternoon in a windy and chilly match. The Pomeroys and Mighty Oaks needed extra time and the result served as a 1-1 draw. The Woods is now 7-6-1 on the season and tied for sixth place in the USCAA Coaches Poll. With one contest remaining, SMWC is fighting for the sixth place bid to the USCAA National Tournament.
- After 45 minutes of play, SMWC and OCU went into halftime scoreless; both teams had opportunities to strike but neither could capitalize.
- Shelby Joy netted the first goal of the contest after a beautiful touch pass by Makayla Stuck; the goal came in the 61st minute.
- With under 45 seconds left in the match, OCU's Breanna Cundiff tied the contest and pushed overtime; the assist was accredited to Becca Rutherford.
- After 10 minutes of overtime, the game's score was still 1-1; defenses played tough and shots were hard to come by.
- After the second overtime, SMWC and OCU finished with a 1-1 draw.
Quote | Head Coach Craig Hendry
"Great contest, between evenly matched teams. The players rebounded well in overtime after conceding the late goal."
The women's soccer team has one game remaining in the regular season. SMWC will host Grace Christian University at 2:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, October 26th. The day serves to be bittersweet as the Athletic Department will honor three seniors: Mannah Mace, Ashley Jezik, and Madison Stuck. Senior day festivities will begin before the contest at approximately 1:45 p.m. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center