SAINT LOUIS, Mo. - Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College volleyball (8-14) stole a five-set match last night against Fontbonne University (3-17). The Pomeroys won the first two sets before the Griffins battled back to tie the match 2-2. In the final set, SMWC edged Fontbonne 15-13 to steal the match and earn their eighth win of the season.
- Set 1: The Woods was victorious 25-20; they tallied 11 kills and a .229 hitting percentage. SMWC's offense was dominant but the defense lacked behind giving up 15 kills to the Griffins.
- Set 2: SMWC won 27-25; behind a .143 hitting percentage, the Pomeroys tallied 12 kills. Defensively, they sacrificed 13 kills on 45 attempts.
- Set 3: Fontbonne won 25-22; both teams were powerful offensively each having 15 kills in the set.
- Set 4: The Griffins found a way to tie the match with a 25-22 win. Fontbonne outhit the Pmoeroys 15 kills to 9, while both teams had six errors.
- Set 5: When the rubber met the road, SMWC secured the hatches and came away with the 15-13 victory. The Pomeroys added seven kills in set five and held their opponents to a -.040 hitting percentage.
By the Numbers
- SMWC was led by Riley Kinney who finished with 15 kills to lead the Pomeroys; she concluded the contest with a .195 hitting percentage
- Senior Meagan White added 11 kills with a .064 hitting percentage
- Jaelyn Fennell notched 10 kills with a hitting percentage of .133
- Katelyn Cotter dished out 41 assists and 17 digs; she has tallied 554 assists on the season
- Pamela Dorman concluded with 44 which led both teams
- The Woods tallied 74.0 points to the Griffins 83.0
SMWC will be back on the court Friday, October 18th, as the Pomeroys travel to Whiting, Indiana, to face Calumet College of St. Joseph. Earlier this season, the Woods swept CCSJ 3-0 and look to continue its success against the Crimson Wave.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center